Agar Agar powder
Agar-agar is extracted from various types of red seaweed and is an excellent vegan alternative to traditional gelatine. It is characterised by its high fibre content and contains many minerals such as sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium.
Agar-agar can be used in many ways as a thickener and gelling agent: for jams, compotes, pies, flans, ice cream, mayonnaise and much more.
How to use the agar-agar powder?
Pour the powder into water, stir and boil until it is completely dissolved. Leave to cool. Agar-agar retains its texture at room temperature.
- Very soft texture: 0.8g/500ml (0.16%)
- Soft texture: 1.5g/500ml (0.3%)
- Firm texture: 5g/500ml (1%)
- Very firm texture: 7g/500ml (1,4%)
Healthy properties of seaweed
Seaweed is very versatile and can be used as an ingredient in all kinds of dishes as well as for seasoning. In addition, seaweed is very healthy as it contains many different nutrients and vitamins:
- It contains a lot of iodine. Even a small amount covers the daily requirement.
- Among other things, seaweed contains protein, soluble and insoluble fibre, vitamins B1 and B2, iron, manganese, copper, vitamin B12 and omega-3 fats.
- In smaller quantities it also contains vitamins A, C, E and K, folic acid, zinc, sodium, calcium and magnesium.
- Seaweed contain antioxidants
Directions for eating seaweed
Seaweed is naturally rich in iodine. Although iodine is very important for normal thyroid function, excessive intake can lead to thyroid dysfunction. Therefore, an average daily intake of no more than 0.2 mg iodine is recommended. The iodine content varies depending on the type of seaweed and the preparation method. Therefore, please pay attention to the information on the package.
May contain traces of crustaceans, shellfish and fish.